- Olive is an adorable pug at work. Is there any other kind?
- New print from Ben Kopp that speaks truth.
- A work project that sort of just looks like my Tumblr came to life.
- I was looking through some old photos and this one in particular of Geoff at the Franklin Park Conservatory caught my eye. Fond memories.
Posted on: Sunday, June 30, 2013
Follow Mini Penny on Instagram at @chaplinnn
Today is the last day to vote for me on Women's Forum!
Time flies, right?
Things I Discovered
- My Name Is Earl still holds up. I love this show.
- I really enjoy gardening. I planted my first herbs and vegetables and have been working really hard to make sure they turn out well!
- Shop My Closest sales are the best ever.
Exciting Happenings in my Life
Posted on: Saturday, June 29, 2013
D's been bragging about this "secret quarry" forever, I swear. Ever since it's been warming up, I've been having serious Chicago beach (any beach, for that matter) withdraw. Finally, finally, finally, today, I got to see this New Jersey sight for myself.
Posted on: Friday, June 28, 2013
|Image via Feedly|
Regardless of my stubbornness to switch platforms, I finally made the jump today. Talk about cutting it close. I landed on Feedly for my personal reading. It automatically imported all of my Google Reader info, has a great mobile app, and integrates with the Sprout Social software I use.
But if you're not ready to make the jump to Feedly, here are a few ways you can keep up with Mini Penny Blog once Reader is gone for good:
Posted on: Thursday, June 27, 2013
I've been meaning to start an ongoing nail series for a while, given my habit of constantly changing my nails (and sometimes spending a lot of time on them). Lately I've been measuring how long it takes me to do my nails by "how many of episodes of Mad Men I watched" while designing them. Now that the season's over, I may have to find another fun way of gauging time. I'm open to suggestions.
I'm a big fan of the claw-shaped nails. I'd love to a bit longer length on these, but for now they totally serve their purpose: looking adorable. Here's what I used:
Sally Hansen Salon Effects Nail Strips in 02 On The Spot
Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Nail Polish in 20 Blue-ming Fast
Hex Nail Jewelry nail gem - Shit
Afterwards, I sealed them with two clear coats and was all set!
I so extremely humbled to be featured in VSCO Cam's Weekly Selects for June 26th. Please head on over to the VSCO Journal and check out all of the awesome company — there are some seriously great photographers included in their features. It's packed full of inspiration, trust me.
Check out my VSCO Cam review here.
While you're at it, vote for Mini Penny Blog on Women's Forum. There are only three days of voting left and, yes, you can vote as many times as you'd like!
And there are still some items left in the Shop My Closet sale   for those of you interested.
Whirlwind week, yet again! Thanks so much to everyone for your continued support and patience. It really means the world to me.
Posted on: Sunday, June 23, 2013
Well, yesterday's Shop My Closet Round 1 has been super successful so far — successful enough that I figure I'd add more for y'all. Lots more.
So. Stoked. For summer.
- Looking back at some Chicago photos. This snap of the Sears Tower was actually the first picture I took when I moved there in October 2011. I was in the moving van with my Dad.
- I painted the icky gate on my back patio. It's gorge.
- Oh and as a whole, my back patio is gettin' pretty cute. I use a bunch of leftover scrap fabrics I had lying around to make flag bunting!
- Of course I had to dig through old photos of Dad for Father's Day. I love this one from around 1988.
- Rockin' my new Converse on the morning commute.
- The SPCA visited work and had this adorable (and adoptable) Mr. Hoover with them. Melt.
- Gothy Friday seems to be a common thing for me lately.
- Summer beers with my bestie Baby Bird friend. In the span of a minute and a half we had separate crazy people tell us we were a great looking couple, that I have a "very handsome man," and that he has a "fantastic wife." South Philly is so weird.
- Cat books. Naturally.
Follow me on Instagram at @Chaplinnn.
That awkward moment when you find out you were nominated for something and had no idea... and the voting is nearly over. D'oh!
Okay, really though! I'm one of three in the fashion category — and I'm behind by about 1500 votes (agh!). There is one week left to vote, and how great would it be to come back and win a la underdog story-esque. Head over to Women's Forum, scroll to the fashion category at the bottom and click on my image to vote for Mini Penny!
Let's take Minis to the final round! Thanks again to everyone for your continued support with this blog!
It's officially summer and, seriously, what's summer without rad kiddie pool tunes? Head over to Spotify for the Mini Penny Summer Playlist: Heatwave.
- Love Missile F1-11 — Sigue Sigue Sputnik
- Restless Leg — Har Mar Superstar
- Summer Song — YACHT
- Ce Jeu — Yelle
- Silly Girl — Descendents
- I Love It — Icona Pop (feat Charli XCX)
- Subterranean Homesick Blues — Bob Dylan
- Glue — White Lung
- Heatwave — Martha Reeves and The Vandellas
- Creep — TLC
- Bound 2 — Kanye West
- Rockaway Beach — Ramones
- Lose Yourself to Dance — Daft Punk (feat Pharrell Williams)
- I've Got a Woman — Ray Charles
- Racing Stripes — Aesop Rock
- The Boys of Summer (cover) — The Ataris
- Truck — Octopus Project
- Deep Spring — Common Rider
- Summertime — DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince
- Flagpole Sitta — Harvey Danger
- Shop Around — The Miracles
- Undercover, Funny — Atom and His Package
- Let's Go Surfing — The Drums
- Gone Gone Gone — Nikki Lane
- Yay — Zammuto
I've been a big fan of what the folks over at VSCO have been doing for quite a while — the first iPhone app, the Lightroom plugins, and now this — the New VSCOCam.
The new app was released not too long ago and I immediately fell in love for it. The filters have the same moodiness that I always loved but with much more control. The interface took me a second to get used to it, but after digging I found a ton of inspiration and totally couldn't wait to start playing.
Posted on: Thursday, June 20, 2013
Whoa, today was something. Here I thought it would just be a normal Thursday — comfy clothes, sunny day, normal Social Media doings. My morning started with finding my dream moped for a killer price. I'm not sure if I can make it happen, but I haven't had her off my mind all day. Expect a Shop My Closet sale VERY soon. Then the whole Instagram video thing. I tried it out on my personal account but wasn't feeling it. I deleted my doggie vid and replaced it with a still image. I'm not sure how I feel about the change. I like Vine, but it feels weird in my Insta feed.What do you guys think?
And to top it all off, the SPCA was at work today — puppies and kittens! Oh man. Seriously. Today was somethin' else.
In other news, I recently picked up some Converse. Yeah, I haven't owned Chucks in about ten years. I'm totally digging these (and scored them in three colors). I think I might live in 'em all summer.
So, okay, we're on the verge of the weekend. Guy is out of time and I get to focus my weekend on some friends and the back patio. What do you guys have in store.
Vintage sweater (cropped), thrifted
Necklace, URBN Sample Sale + found object
Lucca Couture Tropical Shorts, Urban Outfitters
Chuck Taylor All Star, c/o Converse
Posted on: Wednesday, June 19, 2013
I am whole-heartedly obsessed with this stripey cutout bodycon dress. It has so many fun details — wait and back cut outs, shoulder cutouts, and even a reverse high-low hem in the back.
South Philly has been same-ol', same-ol'. I've been working on getting my patio and pool and finished up so I can simply enjoy summer nights in my own little oasis. The garden is growing — seriously, I am stoked. It's my first garden and I have the cutest little bean sprouts popping up!
I keep talking about how much I love ShoeDazzle. I mean, look at these shoes. These incredibly comfy and I always get compliments on these. I actually just placed an order for another pair of shoes from the site — I think that will bring me up to five shoes and one bag. Really. It's addictive.
Side note, this little pink house across the street from mine is abandoned. It has tons of character and I feel like it would be absolutely darling if someone swooped in and fixed it up. Who wants to be neighbors?
Sierra Leon Striped Cut Out Dress, c/o SWAYCHIC
Dannie sandals, ShoeDazzle
Prism necklace, Urban Outfitters
Posted on: Saturday, June 15, 2013
Well, I'm obsessed with the new VSCO Cam update in case you couldn't tell. It's pretty fantastic and I highly recommend it!
- Found a flea market in South Philly.
- Finally dug out all the weeds in the back and planted veggies!
- Pool, watermelon, beer time in the pool.
- New hair color! This is my favorite so far — equal parts Lavender and Titanium! Meow!
- This past Monday was my three year anniversary at Urban. I celebrated with this cookie from someone else's desk.
- South Philly window dogs.
- A little Throwback Thursday action. This is from Columbus, Ohio, in 2009. That was a seriously awesome summer.
- My favorite vintage find in a very long time. I picked up this Vintage Chicago O'Hare Airport pennant for under ten bucks. I'm in love.
Follow Mini Penny on Instagram @Chaplinnn.
Posted on: Saturday, June 8, 2013
- I picked up a couple of amazing greyscale Chicago flag patches.
- Diner dinners.
- I have had an Arrested Development XL tshirt that I have been waiting to do something with. I decided to make a patch out of the Banana Stand graphic and put it on this UO floral tote. New favorite.
- My parents came into town and I saw the Liberty Bell for the first time. Tourist fun!
- Obsessed with this MINKPINK dress!
- I bought a pool. Like a giant, inflatable pool. Best decision ever.
- Urban Outfitters summer BBQ included a photo booth! Fun!
- My hair has been perfectly lavender-curly lately!
- Storm Andrea caused crazy rain for us yesterday on the east coast. No bueno! But at least I picked up these Nike Air Max 90 Infrareds...