Tuesday, January 27, 2015
Recipe // Coconut Macaroons
Macaroons (not to be confused with macarons) are one of my favorite treats to make... and eat. They're simple, delicious, and will only take you about an hour. Check out the how-to after the jump.
Here's what you need:
14 oz bag of sweetened shredded coconut
14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large egg whites
1/4 tsp salt
4 oz melted bittersweet chocolate
1. Preheat your oven to 350º.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the coconut, condensed milk, and vanilla. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and salt with an electric mixture until peaks form.
3. Fold the beaten whites into the coconut mixture.
4. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and scoop tablespoon-sized mounds onto the sheets, leaving them about 1" apart.
5. Bake for about 25 minutes. Once golden, transfer the baking sheets to racks and let them cool completely.
6. Melt the chocolate in a double broiler. Take your time — don't scorch it! Dip the bottoms of your macaroons into the melted chocolate and return them to the baking sheets to cool. Drizzle with chocolate, refrigerate, and enjoy!