|Photo Courtesy of Phil Chester Photography|
Before Philly, I lived in Chicago and Columbus, Ohio. Chicago will always feel like home.
I'm a bit of tech nerd. I can have awkward and shy moments. When people meet me in person, they often remark on how much shorter I am than they expected — and at 5'1", I'm not terribly surprised. I am newly vegetarian. There are many world issues that are important in my life, including women's rights, the water crisis, personal body image, separation of church and state, and most recently I have been educating myself on cultural appropriations in the fashion industry.
On the lighter side, when I'm not working on one of my many projects, I'm either at a thrift/antique store, yard sale, or other picking place of my choice. I have worked as a freelance photographer in the past, shooting weddings, bands, and personal shoots. My work has been featured in the likes of ABC news and Decibel Magazine. I love to travel, and while my passport doesn't have any stamps, it sits patiently and safely, waiting to be used for that dream Paris or Egypt trip. I love different cultures and think it's a shame to not experience the world!
I attended the Columbus College of Art and Design, where I majored in Illustration but left shortly thereafter. I love to doodle and draw (and I am quite good at it), but if there's one thing I learned from college it's that I don't want to sell myself short. The idea of working in a design firm just wasn't for me.
I currently work for Urban Outfitters Headquarters. In the past I have also worked for Apple Inc and Claire's Boutiques. I love interacting with people and creating great experiences.
This was an skill that I wanted to transform and use with my hobbies and passions — thus Mini Penny was created. Here you will find lots of lovely things from my aspiring outfits to DIY tutorials, beautiful images from around the web to people I adore.
I hope you enjoy your stay. If you ever have something you'd like to let me know, I'm happy to receive emails at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Random Facts About Me
- I have never broken any bones (yet)
- I own many cameras (25+, I've lost count). Right now I am mainly shooting with my Canon 5D Mark ii, Polaroid CoolCam, Holga 135N, and Nikkormat FT. I love experimenting with all sorts of cameras and film.
- I was published in a magazine for my art for the first time when I was only eleven years old.
- I love typewriters.
- Woody Allen is my favorite writer/comedian/actor/director. I plan on getting a portrait of him on my left arm [hopefully] soon. Larry David is a close second.
- In college I was called "Pinky." This was because I had hot pink hair for about two years straight. I used to be very attached to my hair dye. Somehow I still have a head full of thick hair.
- My mother is a quilter and often travels to shows and the like. She's very good at it and I think I have picked up my craftyness from her.
- Jane Austen is my great-great-great (how many greats?) aunt. My dad knows the family tree better than I do — all I know is that I have good company in my bloodline.
- My paternal grandfather (who passed many years ago) had a fake eye. I forgot about it until just a few years ago.
I get a lot of questions about my bicycle, so here she is! Her name is Madeline and she's a vintage Raleigh frame that has been converted to a single speed. She gets me to where I need to go.
Where Else to Find Me
I exist many places around the web! Here are just a few:
Chaplinnn on Flickr
Mini Penny Blog on Facebook
Chaplinnn on Tumblr
Ms Chaplinnn on YouTube
Mini Penny on Twitter
Everything that you see on this blog is from me unless otherwise noted. There is nothing more frustrating than seeing your own work being stolen and used elsewhere without consent. If you're interested in featuring any of my photos or tutorials, please let me know! I'm happy to share but require proper credit. Also, I would greatly appreciate it if you didn't share any of my photos on WeHeartIt or Pinterest. Let's make the internet a better place by giving credit where credit is due! Thanks.