Thursday, September 8, 2011


I'll preface this post with an apology. I haven't been feeling well today, therefore I don't really feel on my toes! Sorry, Minis. I'm hoping to get back into the swing of things tomorrow.

Today was my beautiful Kitty's first birthday. I am disappointed that I didn't get to have a mini-party for my fuzzy friend today, as I was planning to whip up some sort of special kitty treat for her. Regardless, she spent the day lying around with me after I was off of work (around 11am). When I went to pick Geoff up from work I stopped at the pet store to get Kitty some tuna flakes, but they were sold out! I ended up getting her some dried salmon treats and a new toy. Am I a cat lady or what?

I love my beautiful cat and can't remember what our home was like without her. We adopted her from Colony Cats at the beginning of February. I remember the first time I saw her. Other cats were climbing all over Geoffrey as I walked into the Kitten Room. Other babies were pouncing on each other, playing with toy mice, and eating their little brains out. There was a long-haired grey beauty in the corner on a pillow, resting. When I approached to pet her, she didn't really react much. There was a paper collar around her neck that read "Claire." I picked her up and she started purring.

Geoff and I really wanted a Maine Coon. Of course, since we were adopting, we knew that the chances were low that we would stumble across one. "Claire" was not a Maine Coon, but she was so beautiful. I half-whispered-half-called for Geoff to come in the Kitten Room to take a look at her. When he held her, she buried her face in her chest and I really felt like I was going to cry. This was our kitty.

We filled out the paperwork that day. Within 24 hours we got a call saying that we could bring "Claire" home with us. Immediately after work, we bought a cat carrier and all of the supplies, and went to get our baby.

When we saw her the next day, she was still in the Kitten Room, but sleeping high above the other cats on a small perch. After completing all of the paperwork, one of the workers woke her and handed her off to us. She mewed the entire way home. It was cold and wintery outside. I don't think I've ever driven so carefully in my entire life.

Upon arriving home, we opened up her carrier to let her explore her new surroundings. In the past I have seen cats just hide when they go somewhere new. Not her. She immediately started sniffing everything, slinking into every crevasse she could find, and purring uncontrollably. We decided to name her Babs, which then evolved into us just commonly calling her Kitty. We set out her first bowl of food from us and she was purring so much with every bite that I had to go into the other room to giggle. She played with everything we put in front of her and was full of so much energy. Love!

Within a month or so, Kitty's eye started seeping fluid. She lost one pound and I could easily feel her pelvis. I was scared to death. She was eating like a horse, but losing weight. Her coat looked greasy and her eye looked painful. She was lethargic and not responsive to her playthings. I didn't want Geoff to know how scared I was for her health, but secretly all I could think was the worst. If anything happened to her, I would be crushed. She was so new and wonderful, I just couldn't bear her being sick.

After what felt like ages (and was only about a week in reality), I took her to the vet. She was so scared of that place and the thought of her little mews still breaks my heart. After some tests, it was determined that she had a tapeworm. I got medicine for her and she began the slow recovery treatment.

Now she's healthy and beautiful. I look back to her sick period and am so thankful that we were able to get her the correct medicine and treatment. She really makes me look forward to coming home from work (or wherever) every day. She makes us laugh and love. Happy birthday to my little girl!

So, that's my long Kitty story. Sorry if it seemed sappy, but I get pretty emotional over the creatures and humans I love. Kitty is a dear friend to me and without the vets' help, she wouldn't have made it to today. As for my outfit, it's not celebratory or special, just comfy. Something to lay around in and try to feel better. Geoffrey leaves town next week for a work trip (for a whole seven days!) and I'm attempting to plan a three-day getaway to Chicago. I'm not sure if it will work out yet, but I'm crossing my fingers. I have so many friends to catch up with! I'm looking forward to this weekend, even though it's supposed to be rainy (yawn). This week has gone by rather quickly for me, so I'm certainly not complaining!

Do you have any pets or animal friends?

Animal Print Silk Crop (made from a dress), Rag-O-Rama
Gap Navy skirt, thrifted
Crystal Amethyst Necklace, DIY
Big Buddha Rylee oxfords (not pictured), Bakers
NYX Black Label Lipstick in Citrine, NYX

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Template designed By The Sunday Studio.