MINI PENNY: The Weekend So Far...

Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Weekend So Far...

Hello, Minis! No worries, I'm still alive and kicking — I just headed up to Chicago for the weekend and have totally been unable to blog yet. If you follow my Twitter/Instagram, you probably noticed that my trip has not gone as smoothly as I had liked. But I'm here and with friends, so I'm happy regardless of whatever other circumstances have come about.

Firstly, my bank account was majorly (as in MAJORLY) low, and I have been waiting for my Paypal transfer to come through. It's Sunday, I've been here since Friday, and the money still hasn't come through. Talk about frustrating. That has been, by far, my biggest concern of the trip — especially considering that most places are pay to park, etc.

Basically I busted my buns to get up here on Friday after I was off of work. I made really amazing time and got into Chicago around 4:30pm — and subsequently every person that I know in the city was either out of town until the evening or busy until the next day. Talk about a bad situation. I had my bicycle, two Fred Perry bags with my stuff, and my messenger bag with my camera and laptop in my car and the last thing I wanted to do was park it somewhere and have something bad happen (I'm worrisome, I suppose). I was a little stressed to say the least.

Since I had a few hours to kill and little bit of cash left, I decided to get something to eat at my favorite Mexican restaurant, Cemitas Puebla. If you live in or visit Chicago, you have to check this place out. It's so delicious. I enjoyed a carne asada cemita and then was basically stuck for quite a long time. I didn't have any place to go, not even to drop off my things to go mosey around. My fun trip to Chicago quickly turned to burdenville as soon as I realized that my phone was almost dead and I had yet to hear back from any of my friends.

Finally, Daina came back into town and I headed over there. We went out for a drink just down the street and did some people watching. On Saturday she had to drive to Michigan and planned to go to bed early. I met up with a friend and had some chats, so it was a rather nice end to the hectic day.

The following day, Daina left town — again I had my stuff in my car. I parked it in Logan Square and planned on hanging out with another friend that day, who ended up having to leave town for a family emergency. These things happen, so I grabbed my bike out of my car and pedaled to Wicker Park. Since my bank account was still emptied, I literally could't do anything except window shop. It wasn't so bad, and I wandered around for a couple of hours before getting in touch with an old friend from the hardcore scene. He biked down to meet me, then we sat in Wicker Park to catch up on everything. It turned out to be a really lovely afternoon.

After I wrapped up my time in Wicker Park, I met back up with Daina and some of her other friends. We took the train to Roscoe Village to some little dive bar. There was a 90s cover band playing — exactly what I needed! No joke, though, they were really good, and the bar provided excellent people watching. There were lots of good tunes and dancing. It definitely helped me get out of the funk from the two days of my poor planning.

Today has been rainy and grey. I was stoked to finally take a shower and get out and do something. Daina and I headed to the Vintage Bazaar at Congress Theatre. It was really fun despite the weather and both of us got some really good stuff for mega-cheap. I will share them when I get home to Ohio!

Right now we're just hanging out at her amazing apartment in Printers Row. She's working on some homework and I'm trying to figure out what I'm getting into this evening. I'm not really sure right now, but after the past few days, I've surely figured out how to make the best of a bad situation. I'm excited to still meet up with my long time friend Matt and his girlfriend Erica, and possibly see Josh again.

Apologies for neglecting my outfit posts — after all the unplanned worries, it was the last thing on my mind. I'll be getting back into the swing of things once I get home to Ohio. While I love it here, I am really excited to see Kitty. I pick Geoff up at the airport on Tuesday evening, also!

This trip has really got me excited for good things to come my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Template designed By The Sunday Studio.