|Click to View on LookBook|
Wednesday, August 29, 2012
Tuesday, August 28, 2012
Sometimes a rainy Sunday is just what you need.
This past weekend was lovely — as noted yesterday, I got to hit up the Savers opening on Saturday and had perfect weather. The evening was rather relaxed which lead perfectly into a lazy and hazy Sunday. See more after the jump.
Monday, August 27, 2012
I can tell you that if there's one thing I miss about Columbus, it's the thrifting. While Chicago has so many resale, thrift, consignment, and vintage stores to boot, I find that it's the lack of having a car that discourages me from venturing out. That's why when I got the invitation to attend the Savers grand opening in Orland Park, I jumped on it!
Friday, August 24, 2012
|Click to View on LookBook|
Thursday, August 23, 2012
I have been counting down to this trip for the past couple of months and I can easily say that it went leaps and bounds beyond my imagination. I got back into Chicago this morning and I'm still in awe at how quickly the past couple of days zipped by. It was borderline sensory-overload in Philadelphia — everything was new and strange and unfamiliar.
Wednesday, August 22, 2012
I'm going to go ahead and say it — another dud from Birchbox. I had a bad feeling when I opened my box and saw the "Beauty School" pamphlet. There was a lot with this box that just felt so juvenile. I feel like they're really aiming for the wrong demographic here and I'm not into it. So here's a look at my samples after the jump.
Sunday, August 19, 2012
It's finally that time!
Back in June I found out that I won a trip to visit Urban Outfitters's home office in Philadelphia. Ever since, I have been anxiously awaiting my working vacation to the City of Brotherly Love. Fun fact: I've never been to Philly. I mean, there's a chance that my parents took me there when I was little (we went on a lot of family vacations), but I certainly don't remember it.
I'm going to be out of Chicago for three days this week. I'm beyond excited to meet some new faces and see and try new things while I'm away.
With all of my excitement, I do get a little obsessed with packing, especially when it comes to flying. I always worry that I have too much or too little or that I'll forget something. To ease this worry, I always try to pack a little early. I started the other night since I don't have a day off of work before my flight leaves and am feeling in a pretty good spot with it!
Saturday, August 18, 2012
Shoot! I've been so busy that I missed last Saturday's Weekstagram post. Ahh, life. Okay, well even though this week was nearly as busy (and I'm getting a little frantic with my countdown to Philly!), here's what happened on my IG feed:
- Lauren and I printed this ridiculous image and hung it in the bathroom. I'm not sure why, but it was so hilarious to us. We're forever children.
- Busted out the Fred Perry polo. Hoo-ray!
- Quick dinner with a veggie burrito and a Drumstick. Sometimes I have the worst eating habits.
- Lauren and I sang a lot of 90s songs around the apartment.
- I finally got my first pair of Litas. And I'm in love!
- Serious bike maintenance happenings. I was super proud of myself for fixing the issue on my own, but then discovered my stripped axle. Currently waiting on replacement a replacement one :(
- My boss bought me a set of notecards with Rock'n'Roll Cats.
- I went to Pilsen for the first time and had my first experience with an ice cream truck. Oh and a tiny, tiny beer?
- I get anxious about packing for flights, so I got all of my Philly outfits squared away and organized in my Fred Perry holdall. Now I just have to deal with getting the basics together.
Follow Mini Penny on Instagram @Chaplinnn
Friday, August 17, 2012
As some of you may recall, about a year and a half ago I used to make DIY Paint by Number Kits. Craft shows came and went, and quite frankly I just didn't have time to do them anymore! It was great fun and today I uncovered the only remaining 15 Quaint by Number kits.
Friday, August 10, 2012
Ferris Bueller's Day Off is easily one of my favorite flicks. I first saw this when I was a little kid in summer camp at Northwestern University. It was my first time to Chicago and a pretty good introduction to how I would feel about this city for the rest of my life. As a matter of fact, I'm a pretty big John Hughes fan all-around — this one and Home Alone sort of take the cake thought. I always, always thought Sloane was a babe and loved her crazy fringed jacket. Not to mention that there was something about Jeanie's bitterness and peach sweater that was just oh-so-right.
1. Little Edit Purse (J Crew) $168
2. Fashion Studded Ankle Boot (Zara) $40
3. Detroit Redwings Octopus Tee (Homage) $28
4. Pleated Trouser Shorts with Belt (Forever 21) $18
5. House of Matching Colours Fringe Jacket (Farfetch) $666
6. Spike Up the Band Cardigan (ModCloth) $65
1. BDG High Rise Cigarette Denim (Urban Outfitters) $58
2. Apaulet Embellished Cardigan (Romwe) $61
3. White Crown Printed Shirt (SheInside) $33
4. Studded Moto Crop Jacket (NastyGal) $110
5. Gummy Bears. Put 'em in your pocket so they're warm and soft.
Apologies for the lack of posts over the past couple of days. I started getting scheduled for 6am mornings at work again (meaning I wake up at 4am) and it sort of knocks me into nap mode in the afternoon — my primary blog time. No worries, though, as my sleep schedule is finally getting back into the grove!
Saturday, August 4, 2012
|Click to Enlarge|
- Meet Michael Ian Cat. He belongs to our friend Lauren K.
- Pool party nights are some of the best.
- I found some Ray-Ban New Wayfarers. I'd say I'm pretty lucky.
- Finally, Target has started stocking the Elf Studio Primer! YES!
- Sometimes at 5:30am you have to sit outside your work, drink bad coffee, and read the RedEye.
- Tickle fight with Michael Ian Cat!
- Got back into curling my hair. It's getting longer and I'm liking the results better :)
- Before the Bobbi Brown event, I met up with my high school best friend at Grand Lux downtown! We hadn't seen each other in about six years and it was incredible to catch up!
- Today at work the cutest French Bulldog came to say hello!
Follow Mini Penny on Instagram at @Chaplinnn
Yesterday I had the privilege of joining some lovely ladies at the 900 North Michigan Ave Bloomingdale's to preview the new Bobbi Brown Fall Desert Twilight Collection. I had been up since 4am for my day job and rather than go home, rush, and change, I decided to head straight downtown. Woo, long day!
Thursday, August 2, 2012
As if! Clueless was easily one of my favorite movies as a kid. I remember how badly I wanted her closet computer software (right?!). It's funny, though, looking back now — at the time I never realized how much plaid there is in the wardrobe. Perfectly 90s and perfectly sums up what I thought was "cool" in elementary school.
1. Codex Blouse (MTWTFSS Weekday) €10
2. Nayes Silver Clutch (Aldo) $35
3. Jeffrey Campbell Skyroom (Solestruck) $100
4. Caily Skirt (Abercrombie & Fitch) $58
5. Sheer Lux Hearts OTK Socks (American Apparel) $15
6. Ponte Rolled Sleeve Blazer (TopShop) $70
1. Double Dahlia Dare Crop (JolieClothing) €40
2. Jojo Blazer (Anthropologie) $168
3. Cader Skirt (NastyGal) $100
4. Motel Ditzy Floral Skater Skirt (ASOS) $58
5. Cropped White Tee (TopShop) $16
6. Cropped Sleeves Yellow Cardigan (Romwe) $25
|Click to Enlarge|
- Essie in Licorice (black base coat)
- American Apparel in Cotton (white patches and "stars")
- Wet 'n' Wild Fastdry in Teal of Fortune (blue nails)
- Sally Hansen InstaDri in Lightening (highlight)
- Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in Deep Purple (Purple nails)
- Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in Bubblegum Pink (highlight)
- Urban Outfitters glitter polishes in black, blue, and red (topcoats)
I found this to actually be very easy. I love Isobel's version, but mine really sparkle! They are a ton of fun to do and get creative with.
Tips? Definitely use a makeup sponge for the white patches and base colors. I made a dotting tool out of a pin for the stars. Just make sure to keep the tip of it clean so that you get even dots!
Happy nail painting :)
Wednesday, August 1, 2012
|Click to View on LookBook|
This morning I finally got to begin 6am shifts again, which means I've been up since the early hour of 4AM. As much as I love the early-in-early-out shifts, I'm pretty happy to be home and relaxing. Tomorrow is going to be another long day and I'm going to be going to bed early to make up for lost sleep. Why haven't I gotten much sleep lately? Too much fun, that's why.